Sunday, March 20, 2011

Nobody Died...

My wife, Brenda, and I have a motto when things go bad. If something is stolen, lost, broken or we have a financial reversal (common), we say, "Nobody died." This doesn't work well if someone does die.

Some years ago, I inherited a number of antique clocks from my aunt who obtained many of them from my Grandfather Ross who was a watch and clock repairman in his later years (about the age I am now!). One of the prize clocks is a Seth Thomas #2, a beautiful clock which is around 100 years old. It is one of my most prized and sentimental possessions.

Yesterday, I was carrying the #2 downstairs to store it until we could decide where to hang it. I stumbled on the stairs and despite my best efforts, the #2 went flying. In the air, it did a half gainer, hit the stairs facedown and slid all the way to the basement. I thought about diving for it, but given my reflexes these days, the thought was long after the clock had settled on the basement floor.

I stood at the top of the landing, devastated. I did not want to go down to look at the clock fearful of the irreparable damage. Actually, the Seth Thomas survived the dive quite well. None of the glass broke, a piece fell off, but there we some nasty gouges in the front of the clock. I guess that's why antiques are antiques. They can survive us. Well, not all do or there would be more antiques. In this case, I was proud of Mr. Thomas and those who assembled his timepieces, they produced one tough clock.

I gently place the clock, which look like it had gone 15 rounds with Mohammed Ali, in its storage area and went upstairs to give Brenda the bad news. I was feeling terrible for what I had done (no, the stairs did it!) to this beloved clock. As I looked at Brenda, the first thing I could think of to say was, "Nobody died. Our children and grandchildren are still well. We're okay."

It's strange how life's little vicissitudes affect us. The aerobatics of the clock were not the Japanese earthquake nor the bombing of Libya. My stepmother, Maurine, used to say, "Our things are ours for awhile then they are someone else's things." Many of her things are now mine. Maybe I ought to copy this post and put it on the back of the clock so someone other than me can learn that lesson.

My first inclination after the clock fell, was to sell the clock in shame late at night in a dark alley where no one could see it very well. My next was to have an expert repair the dents and dings; not a bad option. Today, however, I think I may bring the #2 carefully upstairs and place it, warts and all, in a prominent place. To do so would remind me that life is fleeting, things are just things no matter how much I like them and that the Seth Thomas #2 will belong to someone else one of these days.

1 comment:

  1. II had no idea that you were a clock enthusiast like me! I have to have a clock and something to read in every room. When my uncle died, I inherited his rather plain pendulum clock, and when I got it home, I found that it has a lovely chime on the half hour and strikes the time on the hour. I love that clock, warts and all. I also have a nice Winchester chimes clock in the living room that strikes every fifteen minutes. I bought it years ago at Phillips' store in McHenry Village, Modesto. I can hear it all over the house and it's comforting to hear it. Life goes on despite all the mishaps. I'm sorry that your clock got dinged but if it still works, you can enjoy it as it is.

    ReplyDelete