Saturday, March 12, 2011

Disagreements

My dad, grandfather and great-grandfather used to sit around after family dinners and discuss politics. My Great-grandfather Merriman was a solid Democrat and a Truman enthusiast. Dad was an uncompromising Republican. My first memory of of a televised presidential speech was President Truman. Dad look at the flickering picture of Truman and said with some passion, "You ass." I was shocked, not that Dad would use language like that, his eloquence in profanity was well practiced, but that he would direct it towards the President of the United States. Obviously that was a more civil era.

Grandpa Merriman thought Truman was the second coming of Washington and Lincoln rolled into one. When ever Dad got going on President Truman, Grandpa Merriman's lower lip would start to quiver. Sometimes it was rather intense. But the discussions centered on issues, not on personalities and name-calling (except privately when Dad and Truman faced off in front of our TV in the living room).

In the mid 1960's, I became a Mormon and my Grandfather Ross was baptized a Seventh-day Adventist. He and I could sit down in a room and talk about our beliefs for hours on end and have a grand time. The moment my Grandmother Ross entered the room, however, it was a cat fight. What was the difference? I'm still trying to figure that out.

Like my Grandmother and I, it seems all of us have a hard time disagreeing any more. Invectives have become so personalized and so emotionally powerful, particularly in the political arena, that reasonable disagreements are almost a thing of the past. I'd like readers of this blog to know that I thrive on respectful disagreement. I want my opinions to be called into question. I can read and hear differing opinions. If your opinion, which is likely different than mine, changes my mind, great, I will be more enlightened. If not, maybe I can enlighten you. Most likely, we will still hold our previous opinions. We've had the chance to exchange ideas. It's wonderful. What a dull world if we all agree.

And history would agree that Grandpa Merriman was quite accurate about President Truman!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment