Sunday, July 24, 2011

Unbroken

Starting today, I will add some book reviews and later, movie reviews to this blog. I will start with "Unbroken," by Laura Hillenbrand. As you may have noticed, it is at the top of the best seller lists. "Unbroken" is the story of Louis Zamperini who lived several lives. He was a delinquent young man, Olympic runner, World War II captive and hero, as well as a husband and father. I could add several more lives, but that would take away from the book.

As the book progresses, one is certain that Louie will die or be killed at any moment, but the title isn't Unbroken for no reason. Louie is still with us and well into his 90's! Louie's story is amazing and inspiring. I read it while my wife, Brenda, was recovering from partial paralysis (she's still recovering) and Louie's story gave both of us tremendous hope.

I like reading books about people under unusual stress. It is interesting to see how various challenges are handled and gives insight and courage for the difficulties I face. Having read a number of biographies and non-fiction books,  I have acquired some wisdom on facing tragedy and disappointment. Louie perhaps faced the greatest challenges I have ever read about. The question arises, what sustains one individual while others crumble into failure or death? A list might be in order, but the most common characteristic I've noticed is the ability to keep one's emotions under control. Survivors are not smarter or more resourceful than those who do not survive, but they do have a certain perspective. Sometimes they are just lucky, but the ability to stay cool is a commonality.

We all react emotionally to pressure situations, but how far those emotions take us is a key. Of course, if one is on the top of the World Trade Center on 9/11 or deep inside of the battleship Arizona on December 7, 1941, one is going down. We do not hear the stories of those who die in the rubble, we only hear the stories of the survivors, so yes, part of surviving is luck, but there are still qualities that push certain individuals who are on the edge to survive.

A little over a year ago, I read a book about the Battan Death March. Most of the men were in the same situation. Some survived, some didn't. Why? It is an eternal question that is mostly unanswerable. I'm glad Louie survived. His story is great, heart breaking and gruesome. How those from any war return home to any sense of normalcy is amazing. I'm glad Louie did. Read his story.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the critique of "Unbroken." It sounded interesting, so I went online to our local library, and I put in a request for it. I am #13 on the waiting list, so this book must really be popular. Keep up the reviews of your favorite books and movies. I don't get to the cinema very often (I haven't been there in over a year) but I love to read a real book, not a Kindle or iPad version.

    ReplyDelete