Sunday, July 3, 2011

Payson Friends

In the last 10 days, I have had the opportunity to renew friendships with some of the people in Payson I am closest to (I hear now that it is alright to end a sentence in a preposition, but "to" is not a preposition, it is an infinitive, I think. Can you tell I received a C in English grammar? But I digress.). I have thought much in the last few days what it is about my friends in Payson that draws me to them. I love many who do not live in Payson, so no offense, but this is a tribute to those who do.

I like Paysonites because they are without pretense. What you see is what you get. The cowboys and cowgirls are not of the drugstore variety, they punch cows, ride, rope and wrangle. While living in Payson, I bought a cowboy hat and a couple of cowboy shirts, but was embarrassed to wear them because I am not the genuine article, like many of my Payson friends.

People in Payson tend to be doers rather than observers. The hunt for their own food, plant their own gardens, often to the benefit of elk and javalina. They are very independent. Some of them don't even need a grocery store.

The community of Payson is very generous and giving. The town sponsored food drives for the needy. While many may grouse about why the needy are needy, Payson just gives of food and money to make sure everyone is taken care of (Now there is a preposition!).

People in Payson have a sense of humor. After all, they let me live there and didn't laugh too hard the few times I did wear my cowboy hat, boots and shirts.

Just for the record, there are a couple thing I don't like about Payson people. The first is the funny little beards some of the men wear. Don't like 'em (The beards, like the guys.). The second is the guys who drive Dodge Ram trucks who think that gives them the right to follow 37 3/4 inches behind my Prius while going 75 mph. I've noticed Ford and GM truck drivers do not have the need to follow close behind a Prius. I think the Ram drivers take that icon on their hoods too literally. I'm sure one of these days I'll have to brake while being followed by a Ram driver and suddenly he'll be beside me having a nice visit with Brenda and I.

For any who have not visited Payson, take a jaunt up there. Spend a day or two. The local economy needs you! Stop in a Mackey's, the Beeline Cafe (ask for Linda to wait on you) or La Sierra. You'll enjoy the locals. You won't find better people any where! None of their women wear funny beards, so you are still in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment