Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Seasons of Central Arizona

Fall-October 31-December 20
This place is heavenly! It's is amazing. Why isn't the entire world here? A little air pollution is no big deal.

Holiday Season December 21-January 1
Oh, it does get cool here, but it is better than shoveling snow. Who are all those people from Iowa and why can't they drive?

Winter January 2-January 28
I knew it would get cool this winter, but I didn't know it could get cold. Trees finally dropped their leaves. Would you mind looking up the definition of inversion and EPA pollution alert?

Early Spring January 29-March 10
That was a short winter. The trees are leafing out again. I think I'll plant a garden. This is perfect. Drove to Flagstaff for the first time. Didn't take a jacket, it's Arizona. It snowed. Missed 9 days work with pneumonia.

Middle Spring March 11-April 5
I didn't know it could get hot in March! I wonder how much a swimming pool costs. At least the lousy drivers have all gone back to Iowa.

Late Spring April 6-May 22
I'm glad I have air conditioning. If it's this hot now, what's it going to be like? Well, the mornings and the nights are cool. Dang, my air conditioning bill is over $150 already.

Early Summer-May 23-June 14
They said it was a dry heat, but 114 is ridiculous. At least I can go for a walk by 10:30 PM. I don't think I was so smart to move here. Maybe I can walk in the mall if I don't have heat stroking walking in from the parking lot. How can I get a handicapped plate?

Summer June 15-20
I don't think I was so smart to move here. My doctor is testing me for something called "Valley Fever." Missed three weeks of work. He said I could get a handicapped plate if the lung damage is bad enough, but I'd die by the time I'm 43.

HELL June 21-Forever (August 23) The monsoon storms will cool things down? It's 89% humid in my bedroom, 110 outside and raining! I'll bet San Diego is nice this time of year. I WANT TO MOVE!!!! At least in the winter you can put a coat on, or was winter just a figment of my imagination?

Late Summer or who left the oven on? August 23-September 15
San Diego just passed a law that they won't allow any more Arizonans to move there. Shoveling snow isn't as bad as I remembered. I wonder if my company has offices in Winnipeg. They just advertised $12 golf after three PM. Is that someone's attempt at humor? $375 for air conditioning last month.

Endless Summer September 15-October ?
This heat never ends. Rented a moving van just to see if it is possible. They play football in this? These people are nuts. The leaves have already turned at Notre Dame. My air conditioning went out. I paid extra for express service meaning they can come at the end of November.

The Big Break  Some Time in Late October
This doesn't last forever. It was only 96 today. Fall is in the air! Maybe I'll stay.

2 comments:

  1. I do remember what life is like in Arizona. Even after 41 years away i miss the state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made us laugh. So thankful we can make visits to avoid the cold up here and yet make sure we stay far far away when the summer heat hits.

    ReplyDelete