Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Death

How's that for a cheery topic? I'll do you one better. All of us will die someday. People do not die in order. Have you ever thought about how you will die or when? In my 68th year, for some unknown reason, those thoughts have been on my mind more and more. Also, the semi-humorous statement, "If I had known I was going to live so long, I'd have taken better care of myself" is not so semi-humorous any more, but has the ring of truth.

I don't know how long I'm going to live. I'd guess somewhere between four and 13 years. I really don't want to go too far into my 80's. Not much good happens after 80. On the bright side, I know a couple who are both 92 (my Dad's age if he were alive, but he died 14 years ago), and they do most of the things I do, except sleep more. They claim not to remember as much as they used to, but that is actually another commonality.

I am not afraid to die, but I am afraid of how I will die. Will it hurt? Probably. Getting into and going out of this life are not easy. The middle part can be rather painful too. It would be kind of nice to have something that takes me quick, but not too quick. I'd like to say good-by to my wife, children and grandchildren. A few friends too. Maybe I'd be good enough to take a farewell tour. I just read that singer Glen Campbell has Alzheimer's and is doing a farewell tour. That sounds like fun. I wouldn't even need to sing. Maybe I could still go to London.

Lingering just bit bit would give one a chance to make apologies to those you feel guilty about offending. Maybe I could find Dorine, the girl dow the street who I mooned when I was young, stupid and didn't know any better. I could apologize. Dad never said, "Don't moon the girl down the street." Of course, I am assuming she was offended.

Maybe I could apologize to my wife for all the stupid times I started an argument or said something stupid when I was old enough to know better. A friend was talking about marriage the other day and said (get ready for profound), "It's okay to be wrong, even when you are right." In other words, in the marriage relationship, one does not have to win every argument (or discussion as we call them at our house). So what does that have to do with death? If you try to win every argument, er, discussion, with your spouse, death could be instantaneous!

Well, I hope to be around for awhile. I hope when I die, that I go to a good place. When people narrowly escape death, they often say, "It's is better than the alternative." I'm not so sure. I've never heard that anyone came back and complained about the other side. Mark Twain said sarcastically, "Heaven for climate, Hell for company." I actually think most of us are pretty good and will have climate and company. I grew up with an adult friend of the family who was a drug addict and did all kinds of awful things. But he was kind, listened to me a lot when I need a listener. He went through hell in life, but did some redeeming things too. If I do go to Heaven, I hope he's there. I just hope it's not too soon, and, when my time comes, I hope it doesn't hurt too bad.

1 comment:

  1. Rocky, Good essay on death. I feel the same way--just don't prolong it and don't let it be painful. You're a few months older than I am, and I thought, "68th year?" but then i realized that I will soon be in that category myself. My parents both died at the age of 89, and in decent health until nearly the end. Every year now brings some new physical irritant, so living to 100 is not my goal. LF

    ReplyDelete