Sunday, May 15, 2011

Disorganized Religion


Many times, I’ve heard the statement, “I just can’t deal with organized religion,” or “I find God in the mountains (desert, ocean, river, etc.)” or “I worship God in my own way.” Having once embraced this philosophy myself, it is hard to be critical of these sentiments. The church, in whichever variety one chooses, is an organization of people, hypocrites, if you will, who are often either sanctimonious or uncommitted. People come to church for many reasons, some even to worship.

When I left the Baptist Church at age 13, I felt cajoled, judged and not ready to do what was wanted of me. This is not to criticize the Baptists, those things can happen in any church, synagogue or temple. The Baptists were sincere in their desire to make a better person out of me and they did in many ways. Many times, as I sit in the church of my choice, living the lifestyle of my choice, I recognize the mountains do have a certain pull.

In Payson, Arizona, in the last couple of years, I witnessed the true value of organized religion. Two entities in town, the Community Presbyterian Church and St. Vincent De Paul, were trying to feed a needy community. Other churches, including my own, would deal with individuals and families case by case, but the two I previously mentioned were carrying a burden for the community. Of course, the needy could get assistance and food stamps from the state, but the working poor and those waiting to qualify for state aide needed help.

The churches of Payson were asked by the mayor to mount a food drive. We were challenged to collect a lot of food and a substantial amount of money. Since the Presbyterians and St. Vincent’s had a structure in place, they were the recipients and distributors of what was donated. Goals were set and collections were made throughout town and donations received. Most churches in Payson participated and sent representatives to an executive committee. It seemed like every one pitched in. The drive was a success and Payson feed its own. The collective clergy who will never agree on doctrine united in this great cause.

Later, in Payson, a similar group was brought together to help find shelter for high school homeless forest kids (living in tents) and others playing couch roulette. Clergy and school district leaders came together to solve a serious community problem.

The point? While working on both of these committees, I did not find any “mountain worshipers” or atheists in attendance. Those who wanted to serve and help community needs were exclusively churchgoers. While I may have sympathy with the sentiments of individual worship in nature, it is people who are willing to stand for something who get things done. Is our individualism just that or is it a selfish masquerade tainted by the desire not to be committed? I cannot answer that question for other people, but it is fair to pose the question.

Militant atheists may rage on about how religion has brought about death, torture and war like no other entity. They conveniently omit the Hitlers and Stalins of history. While they rail on about such things, selfless individuals in churches, synagogues and temples throughout the world are getting thing done!

Being a member of a congregation is a commitment. It requires us to look beyond ourselves. It has to tolerate hypocrisy, because none are perfect. It requires patience. It puts us with a group of people we might not otherwise associate with. But as many have said, the church isn’t a country club for the saved, it’s a hospital for the sick and needy. Who among us is not sick and needy in some sense? You may be the most needy of all, maybe as much as me. The best way to help the community, church and thereby ourselves is to serve. It heals.

No comments:

Post a Comment