Friday, May 13, 2011

The Best Ever Movies

As I am in my third week of pneumonia and bronchitis, my mind does funny things. A couple of days ago, I made a list of the best movies I've seen during my life. There are about 100. Be warned that I think that older movies are better than 99% of what comes out these days. If any one is familiar with all of these movies, I'd like to hear from you. We have a kinship. If some decide to watch some of these, please don't neglect the silents on the list. They are amazing and often copied. If you think "Star Wars" was an original effort, watch "The Searchers." Lucas says it was a major influence on "Star Wars." The theme of a young man trying to find his way as he searches for his sister is powerful in both.

My list is roughly in order of preference although that could change when I get well! If you haven't seen many of these, try the top one or two from each category. You are in for a treat.

Blessings!




Movies

The very best:
Lawrence of Arabia
How Green Was My Valley
The Third Man
The Bridge on the River Kwai
To Kill a Mockingbird
Red River
A Man for All Seasons
Casablanca
Ben Hur
The Ten Commandments

Westerns:
Red River
The Searchers
High Noon
My Darlin' Clementine
Stagecoach
Will Penney
The Stalking Moon
The Westerner
Winchester 73
Shane
True Grit (John Wayne)
Lonesome Dove

Action/adventure:
Gunga Din
The Guns of Navarone
North by Northwest
The African Queen
The Sea Hawk
Master and Commander
Captain Horatio Hornblower (Gregory Peck)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Indiana Jones

Comedy:
A Night at the Opera
The Gold Rush (silent)
Bringing Up Baby
The Odd Couple
The General (silent)
Mr. Roberts
Some Like It Hot
Napoleon Dynamite


Romance:
Casablanca
The Quiet Man
Dr. Zhivago
The Shop Around the Corner
Roman Holiday
Ninotchka
An Affair to Remember
Love in the Afternoon
Sleepless in Seattle

Musicals:
Fiddler on the Roof
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
Oklahoma
South Pacific
Carousel
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Oliver
Mary Poppins
Phantom of the Opera
An American in Paris
Singing in the Rain

War:
Wings (silent)
Pork Chop Hill
The Winds of War
Battleground
Gettysburg
The Great Escape

Drama:
A Man for All Seasons
Double Indemnity
The Maltese Falcon
Key Largo
The Grand Illusion
The Elephant Man
The Apartment
The Days of Wine and Roses
Laura
Bad Day at Black Rock

Science Fiction:
2001
Star Wars
Them!

Animated:
Snow White
Fantasia
Pinoccio
Bambi
Up
Cars
Toy Story 1&2
Pixar Shorts

Actors/actresses:
Cary Grant
Gregory Peck
Audrey Hepburn
Kathryn Hepburn
James Stewart
Ingrid Bergman
Peter O'Toole
Humphrey Bogart
William Powell
Greer Garson
Walter Brennan
Harrison Ford

Best Movie Music:
The Sea Hawk
Red River
Lawrence of Arabia
Dr. Zhivago
How Green Was My Valley
The Alamo

No comments:

Post a Comment