Sunday, July 14, 2013

Despicable Me 2 revisited
or
Despicable Me 2 two

Some years ago, I worked with a young Hispanic woman. She was brilliant, talented and passionate about her ethnicity. I had worked on a film documenting the positives of our school. When the film came out, my co-worker was upset that no Hispanic teachers on the staff were represented, especially one who was very popular with all students. Justifiably so. I told her I was responsible for the content and that I had to agree with her. Our Hispanic students felt marginalized to a large extent and given the preponderance of them, I should have been more sensitive. As is usually the case, Anglo students didn't have a problem with making the school their own. 

I thought of my friend and co-worker this last week when I saw Despicable Me 2 a second time. The villain, El Macho, in the film is an Hispanic full of stereotypes and a heavy accent. Grue, the hero of Despicable Me, did not want his adopted daughter hanging around with the villain's son. It was all played for laughs, but I am surprised the Hispanic community has not raised a stink about the negative portrayal of Hispanic characters. The presence of an Hispanic character, of course, should be encouraged, even if the individual is on the wrong side of legality. But in Despicable Me 2, the Hispanic character is so full of stereotypes that it made me a bit uncomfortable. That is thanks to my wonderful co-worker and others who have helped me be more aware.

I am a Mormon. In the last three years or so, my religion has had its fair share of stereotyping, poking and prodding with the results being far from positive. Like Hispanics, blacks, women and other minority groups which are frequently demonized, I have become more sensitive yet to the plight of others who are are more frequently victims of thoughtless jokes, bias and bigotry. We still live in a tough society and any one in the minority still seems to be fair game.

How much damage will there be from this one film. Will those who watch it put El Macho into the cartoon category or will there be fallout in schools and neighborhoods across our country from further stereotyping. I fear the latter and if one Hispanic kid is demonized as a result. it will be one too many.

The villain in the first Despicable Me was a small fellow with glasses and a pot belly. He was obnoxious, but not stereotypical (unless geeks of the world unite). Some one has to be a villain, but I hope the next time movie makers are a bit more sensitive to the difficulties they might cause. While I am not an advocate of taking life too seriously, this stereotyping dimmed what was other wise a funny, enjoyable film.

Maybe they can pick on fat, bald, old men next.

No comments:

Post a Comment