Monday, September 5, 2011

Intimacy

It seems that our society has lost its sense of intimacy. Not physical intimacy, there seems to be plenty of that, but the emotional intimacy that exists between family members and friends. The other night, Brenda and I had what used to be called a heart to heart conversation. We talked about our future, our problems and our blessings. We made some goals and tossed some goals aside.

We have come to the realization that given Brenda's pain and physical limitations, we will not be traveling together any more. My traveling will be limited because she is a habit with me and I don't want to be away from her very long. It is the form of intimacy called love. I wanted to go to London and Paris while I am able, but what would be the joy of going without Brenda. If it's a contest between London, Paris and Brenda, Brenda wins every time! Of course, there is this matter of money too.

We've had a good time together. We both like to travel and have had our most enjoyable times seeing things we never thought we would see. We've been to all but eight states together and have set foot in most large cities in the country. We've walked Red Square in Moscow, the Summer Palace in St. Petersburg, the Vatican in Rome and the Leaning Tower of Pisa. We've strolled the beaches of Hawaii and climbed on a glacier in Alaska. We've even been to Moscow, Idaho. We have nothing to complain about.

Intimacy is discussing the future with a child. Having tears with your husband or wife. The death of a loved one. Dinner with good friends. It is open, honest communication. Intimacy is rewarding, but not usually easy.

Intimacy is not going to a football game, watching TV, sitting in a movie or visiting the state fair, although these can be great, fun, bonding events events. Intimacy can be a discussion of the football game afterwards, talking about why I liked the movie or what ride was the best at the fair.

I used to sit with my Mom and we'd watch the sunset. We'd poor our hearts out to each other. It wasn't always pleasant, but it was always personal. She could trust me to keep her secrets and I could even talk about girls I liked. She was my friend and confidant all the time I was at home. She was my security as I grew up. It was an intimate relationship.

One of the problem we face in our society, is a lack of intimacy between parent and child. Children need the one on one conversations with parents that solves problems, eliminates insecurity and builds self-confidence. We are so busy running here and there, keeping out children involved in various activities, that we often do not take those moments of communication that are so needed. It takes time, can be a pain, but bears great dividends. Intimacy touches the heart of another human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment