Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Eve

Not reacting well to some events of the season and having a martyr complex, I wanted to feel better and partially relieve myself of a variety of disappointments. On the afternoon of December 24, 2013, I visited two friends in the hospital.

One was a 93 year old woman we know from church who broke her hip a few days ago. She recognized me when I came in. Her gown was off her shoulder and I accused her of trying to be sexy. I asked her when she expected to go home and she said, “Never.” Although the visit lasted just a few minutes, it changed me.

The next visit was to a friend who was ten days out of heart transplant surgery. He is having some complications, but feels his surgery is a blessing of life particularly since his health insurance is not being renewed as of January 1. This man and his wife were in good spirits and he was full of humor and gratitude. Of course, they were grateful beyond words for the unknown person who lost life, but was able to extend the life of another.

As I left, I pondered on how difficult life is at times. We get so wrapped up (no pun intended) watching presents open. Then we can have things we don’t need or probably won’t used in a week or two. I am always sadly amused at those who advertise high ticket items for Christmas with the realization that nine out of ten viewing the ads can’t afford what they see. Equally amusing are the TV news stations which carry as their top news story how many people are shopping in a given year. That’s news? It happens every year.


This year I have two friends suffering in the hospital. Next year there may not be any or there may be more. It could be me. It could be you. It would be a positive gesture to spend an hour out of our Christmas orgy to stop, drop by the hospital or nursing home and brighten the day of a few lonely individuals we don’t know. Especially those who think they’ll never come home. That would be a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment