Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A book review: Pride and Prejudice

Just a little over a hundred years ago, Mark Twain made the following comment about Jane Austen. The first reference is to another author. Twain was aware of gender differences. "To me his prose is unreadable -- like Jane Austin's [sic]. No there is a difference. I could read his prose on salary, but not Jane's. Jane is entirely impossible. It seems a great pity that they allowed her to die a natural death."
- Letter to W. D. Howells, 18 January 1909

Mark Twain was a cynic. I am not a cynic. I do not have such strong feelings about Jane Austen's works, although "Pride and Prejudice" is the only book of hers that I have read or will ever read. I read "Pride and Prejudice" because I have a wonderful and lovely daughter-in-law who's opinion I trust. She loves Jane Austen's books and has read each a number of times. I just had to see what it was all about, so I decided upon "Pride and Prejudice," which is supposed to be Austen's best.

Now, finally to the review. I thought it would have been better if Austen had included some fist fights and several explosions. For any who think that I may not have finished the review, this is the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment